SEOR R&D line aims to keep and improve the excellence in the many actuation fronts, namely in:
- fundamental research;
- applied research;
- advanced training (PhD supervision);
- project leadership;
- scientific dissemination of results;
- editorial support.
In fundamental research SEOR aims to pursue the production of high quality papers that address algorithms development for optimization and statistics. SEOR aims to develop analytical and computational approaches to find multiple optimal solutions of non-convex mixed-integer problems, for bi-level strategies in derivative-free optimization, addressing new constraint handling techniques to global and multiobjective optimization, and to develop performance assessment strategies for multiobjective solvers.
Applied research aims to address unsolved, highly complex, engineering problems, where the results from fundamental research may be used. This applied research includes mathematical modelling and use of available software/algorithms, and the development of statistical models associated with decision making. SEOR is often involved with other research groups providing advises in operational research and statistics.
Implementation of the proposed algorithms and methodologies is also a major aim of the SEOR R&D line, as it allows the validation of the proposed and developed algorithms resulting from the fundamental research. Making the software publicly available (whenever it is not subject to financial contract restrictions) helps to promote the scientific impact of SEOR research.
SEOR R&D line achieved a ratio of over one paper in renowned peer reviewed journals per member per year during the period under evaluation. If the ratio takes into consideration book chapters and conference proceedings (indexed by ISI or SCOPUS) then the figure more than doubles. The papers cover several scientific areas such as combinatorial, integer, mixed integer, global, evolutionary, derivative-free, and semi-infinite optimization, and statistical analysis.
Beyond the publication ratio, the impact of the research developed by SEOR can be assessed by the number of citations, where some research members present several papers with a high level of citations. This citation level further confirms the excellence of the research conducted by the SEOR researchers and the impact produced in the research community where SEOR researchers actuate.
SEOR research members are often invited to act as referees in several renowned journals.
A common feature to the majority of the SEOR members is the development of publicly available optimization software. This optimization software is highly used by the research community (as, once again, can be confirmed by the number of citations to the papers where the algorithms are described).
SEOR Coordinator: António Ismael Vaz
Recent SEOR Publications:
- A reduction method for nonlinear semi-infinite programming based on an exact penalty technique
Mota, A.; Vaz, A.I.F.
International Journal of Business Excellence, 2016
- A numerical optimization approach to generate smoothing spherical splines
Machado, L.; Monteiro, M.T.T.
Journal of Geometry and Physics, 2017
- Optimization modeling to support renewables integration in power systems
Pereira, S.; Ferreira, P.; Vaz, A.I.F.
Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 2016
- Optimization of logistics services in hospitals
Rais, A.; Alvelos, F.; Figueiredo, J.; Nobre, A.
International Transactions in Operational Research, 2017
- Iterative aggregation and disaggregation algorithm for pseudo-polynomial network flow models with side constraints
Clautiaux, F.; Hanafi, S.; Macedo, R.; Voge, M.-?.; Alves, C.
European Journal of Operational Research, 2017
- Combined cutting stock and scheduling: A matheuristic approach
Braga, N.; Alves, C.; Macedo, R.; De Carvalho, J.V.
International Journal of Innovative Computing and Applications, 2016
- I’m an outlier! Is this important? – Answers based on a satisfaction and perception questionnaire
Le\~ao, C.P.; Soares, F.
Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 2017
- A branch-and-price algorithm for the vehicle routing problem with 2-dimensional loading constraints
Pinto, T.; Alves, C.; de Carvalho, J.V.
Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 2016
- Endovascular treatment of internal iliac artery aneurysms: Single center experience
Machado, R.M.; Rego, D.N.C.; de Oliveira, P.N.F.P.; de Almeida, R.M&period
Brazilian Journal of Cardiovascular Surgery, 2016
- PARTNERSHIPS IN BUSINESS INCUBATORS IN BRAZIL
Gurgel, Giovane; Vieira, Filipa D.; Rodrigues, Cristina S.; Araujo, M
Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Project Evaluation (Icopev 2016), 2016
- Preface of the "symposium on Numerical Optimization and Applications"
Pereira, A.I.; Costa, M.F.
AIP Conference Proceedings, 2016
- An optimization approach for the inverse kinematics of a highly redundant robot
Costa, P.; Lima, J.; Pereira, A.I.; Costa, P.; Pinto, A.
Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 2016
- Maximizing expected number of transplants in kidney exchange programs
Alvelos, F.; Klimentova, X.; Rais, A.; Viana, A.
Electronic Notes in Discrete Mathematics, 2016
- A 10-Year Retrospective Analysis of Methyl Aminolevulinate Photodynamic Therapy Consultation at the Hospital de Braga
Brito, C.; Resende, C.; Oliveira, P.
Dermatology and Therapy, 2016
- Control engineering learning by integrating app-inventor based experiments
Soares, F.; Oliveira, P.M.; Le\~ao, C.P.
Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering, 2017
- Green supply chain design: A mathematical modeling approach based on a multi-objective optimization model
Nurjanni, K. P.; Carvalho, M. S.; Costa, L.
International Journal of Production Economics, 2017
- Generation expansion planning with high share of renewables of variable output
Pereira, S.; Ferreira, P.; Vaz, A.I.F.
Applied Energy, 2017
- In vitro blood flow and cell-free layer in hyperbolic microchannels: Visualizations and measurements
Rodrigues, R.O.; Lopes, R.; Pinho, D.; Pereira, A.I.; Garcia, V.; Gassmann&comm
Biochip Journal, 2016
- Can information be spread as a virus? viral marketing as epidemiological model
Rodrigues, H.S.; Fonseca, M.J.
Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, 2016
- A new approach based on the Newton's method to solve systems of nonlinear equations
Ramos, H.; Monteiro, M.T.T.
Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 2017