Our main research areas and interests lie in Nonlinear Optimization, Mathematical Problem Design, Heuristics and Statistics. The state-of-the-art research is interdisciplinary, involving close links with mathematics, engineering and other scientific disciplines. The NSOS group conducts fundamental and applied research on optimization, including algorithmic development, model formulation, and software production, as well as on statistics applied to various areas, in particular to medicine.
At present, the group has 12 PhD permanent members, and several MSc and PhD students.
We were very pleased to lead the organization of the international conference ORP3-2007. The NSOS group, together with the SEOOR (Systems Engineering, Optimization and Operations Research) research group, is committed with the organization of the next international Optimization conference (Optimization 2014). We are also committed with the organization of the ICCOPT 2013 conference.
NSOS Coordinator: Ismael Vaz
NSOS Selected Publications:
- Braga, AC; Costa, L; Oliveira, P; An alternative method for global and partial comparison of two diagnostic systems based on ROC curves, Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, pp. 1-19, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00949655.2011.604635.
- Costa, L; Espírito Santo, IACP; Oliveira, P; An adaptive constraint handling technique for evolutionary algorithms, Optimization, pp. 1-13, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02331934.2011.590486.
- Custódio, AL; Madeira, JFA; Vaz, AIF; Vicente, LN; Direct Multisearch for Multiobjective Optimization, SIAM Journal on Optimization, vol. 21, pp. 1109-1140, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1137/10079731X.
- Ferraz, A; Carvalho, V; Soares, F; and Leão, CP; Characterization of Blood Samples Using Image Processing Techniques, Sensors and Actuators A-Physical, vol. 172, pp. 308-314, 2011, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2011.02.022.
- Monteiro, MTT; Rodrigues, HS; Combining the regularization strategy and the SQP to solve MPCC – a MATLAB implementation, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 235, pp. 5348-5356, 2011.
- Rocha, AMAC; Martins, TFMC; Fernandes, EMGP; An augmented Lagrangian fish swarm based method for global optimization, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, vol. 235, pp. 4611-4620, 2011.