The Computer Communications and Networks (CCN) is a Research Group of Centro Algoritmi, School of Engineering of the University of Minho.
The Group was organised in 1975, the University’s inaugural year. It has since contributed extensively to the establishment and development of the University research network and all associated services within the whole University, its Informatics Department, and to the introduction of graduate and postgraduate courses in Informatics Engineering in the country.
The Computer Communications and Networks R&D+I group has played a major role in the establishment of the National Universities’ Network, Portuguese NREN, and in the establishment of the Internet in Portugal.
The group teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses, in both Master’s and Doctoral’s School programmes, covering a broad set of fundamental and advanced topics in computer networks and networking technologies.
Current research interests includes the engineering, test and deployment of QoS-aware network solutions to support emerging applications and new paradigms in network infrastructures and service networks.
Advanced Computer Networking is the major topic of research within the priority thematic area of Information and Communication Technologies, covering a broader Area of Research and Development, including:
- Integrated Network Communication Environments
- Modelling, Design and Performance Analysis of Routing Protocols
- Quality of Service in Fixed/Mobile IP(v6) Networks
- Mobile and Vehicular Area Networks
- Multimedia and Multicast applications and protocols
- Network Information Retrieval
- Wireless, Sensor and Ad-Hoc Networks
- Automated Network and Services Management
CCN leader: Alexandre Santos
Recent CCN Publications:
- The smartphone-based offline indoor location competition at IPIN 2016: Analysis and future work
Torres-Sospedra, J.; Jim\'enez, A.R.; Knauth, S.; Moreira, A.; Beer, Y.; Fetzer&a
Sensors (Switzerland), 2017
- Exploring SDN to deploy flexible sampling-based network monitoring
da Silva, C.P.; Lima, S.R.; Silva, J.M.
Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 2017
- Offloading Surrogates Characterization via Mobile Crowdsensing
Lima, E.; Aguiar, A.; Carvalho, P.
CrowdSenSys 2017 - Proceedings of the 1st ACM Workshop on Mobile Crowdsensing Systems and Applications, Part of SenSys 2017, 2017
- Performance evaluation of an emergency vehicle in a simulated traffic scenario
Gama, O.; Costa, A.; Nicolau, M.J.; Santos, A.; MacEdo, J.; Dias, B.&
Proceedings of 2018 16th International Conference on Intelligent Transport System Telecommunications, ITST 2018, 2018
- Agnostic and modular architecture for the development of cooperative ITS applications
Dias, B.; Santos, A.; Costa, A.; Ribeiro, B.; Gon?alves, F.; Macedo, J.&am
Journal of Communications Software and Systems, 2018
- LiteSense: An adaptive sensing scheme for WSNs
Silva, J.M.C.; Bispo, K.A.; Carvalho, P.; Lima, S.R.
Proceedings - IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, 2017
- Inside packet sampling techniques: exploring modularity to enhance network measurements
Silva, J.M.C.; Carvalho, P.; Lima, S.R.
International Journal of Communication Systems, 2017
- Evaluation of message dissemination methods in VANETs using a cooperative traffic efficiency application
Gama, O.; Nicolau, M.J.; Costa, A.; Santos, A.; Macedo, J.; Dias, B.
2017 13th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, IWCMC 2017, 2017
- Podcast as e-learning enabler for developing countries: Current initiatives, challenges and trends
Mulhanga, M.M.; Lima, S.R.
ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, 2017
- A realistic evaluation of indoor positioning systems based on Wi-Fi fingerprinting: The 2015 EvAAL-ETRI competition
Torres-Sospedra, J.; Moreira, A.; Knauth, S.; Berkvens, R.; Montoliu, R.; Belmonte, O&perio
Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, 2017
- An adaptable and ISP-friendly multicast overlay network
Sampaio, A.; Sousa, P.
Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, 2018
- A Modular Traffic Sampling Architecture: Bringing Versatility and Efficiency to Massive Traffic Analysis
Silva, J.M.C.; Carvalho, P.; Lima, S.R.
Journal of Network and Systems Management, 2017
- Optimizing Segment Routing using Evolutionary Computation
Pereira, V.; Rocha, M.; Sousa, P.
Procedia Computer Science, 2017
- Gaming in dyscalculia: A review on disMAT
Ferraz, F.; Costa, A.; Alves, V.; Vicente, H.; Neves, J.; Neves, J.
Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 2017
- Identifying previously requested content by side-channel timing attack in NDN
Dogruluk, E.; Costa, A.; Macedo, J.
Communications in Computer and Information Science, 2018