The Computer Communications and Networks (CCN) is a Research Group of Centro Algoritmi, School of Engineering of the University of Minho.
The Group was organised in 1975, the University’s inaugural year. It has since contributed extensively to the establishment and development of the University research network and all associated services within the whole University, its Informatics Department, and to the introduction of graduate and postgraduate courses in Informatics Engineering in the country.
The Computer Communications and Networks R&D+I group has played a major role in the establishment of the National Universities’ Network, Portuguese NREN, and in the establishment of the Internet in Portugal.
The group teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses, in both Master’s and Doctoral’s School programmes, covering a broad set of fundamental and advanced topics in computer networks and networking technologies.
Current research interests includes the engineering, test and deployment of QoS-aware network solutions to support emerging applications and new paradigms in network infrastructures and service networks.
Advanced Computer Networking is the major topic of research within the priority thematic area of Information and Communication Technologies, covering a broader Area of Research and Development, including:
- Integrated Network Communication Environments
- Modelling, Design and Performance Analysis of Routing Protocols
- Quality of Service in Fixed/Mobile IP(v6) Networks
- Mobile and Vehicular Area Networks
- Multimedia and Multicast applications and protocols
- Network Information Retrieval
- Wireless, Sensor and Ad-Hoc Networks
- Automated Network and Services Management
CCN leader: Alexandre Santos
Recent CCN Publications:
- LiteSense: An adaptive sensing scheme for WSNs
Silva, J.M.C.; Bispo, K.A.; Carvalho, P.; Lima, S.R.
Proceedings - IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, 2017
- Inside packet sampling techniques: exploring modularity to enhance network measurements
Silva, J.M.C.; Carvalho, P.; Lima, S.R.
International Journal of Communication Systems, 2017
- Hybrid model for secure communications and identity management in vehicular ad hoc networks
Goncalves, F.; Ribeiro, B.; Gama, O.; Barros, S.; Sousa, S.; Hapanchak, V.;
International Congress on Ultra Modern Telecommunications and Control Systems and Workshops, 2018
- Simulation and testing of a platooning management protocol implementation
Ribeiro, B.; Gon?alves, F.; Santos, A.; Nicolau, M.J.; Dias, B.; Macedo, J
Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 2017
- An application for traffic analysis and optimization of network infrastructures,Plataforma para Análise de Tráfego e Optimização de Infraestruturas de Comunicação
Pereira, M.; Sousa, P.
Iberian Conference on Information Systems and Technologies, CISTI, 2018
- An adaptable and ISP-friendly multicast overlay network
Sampaio, A.; Sousa, P.
Peer-to-Peer Networking and Applications, 2018
- Offloading Surrogates Characterization via Mobile Crowdsensing
Lima, E.; Aguiar, A.; Carvalho, P.
CrowdSenSys 2017 - Proceedings of the 1st ACM Workshop on Mobile Crowdsensing Systems and Applications, Part of SenSys 2017, 2017
- Gaming in dyscalculia: A review on disMAT
Ferraz, F.; Costa, A.; Alves, V.; Vicente, H.; Neves, J.; Neves, J.
Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 2017
- Performance evaluation of an emergency vehicle in a simulated traffic scenario
Gama, O.; Costa, A.; Nicolau, M.J.; Santos, A.; MacEdo, J.; Dias, B.&
Proceedings of 2018 16th International Conference on Intelligent Transport System Telecommunications, ITST 2018, 2018
- Evolutionary computation at work for the optimization of link state routing protocols
Pereira, V.; Sousa, P.; Rocha, M.
GECCO 2017 - Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference Companion, 2017
- Evaluation of message dissemination methods in VANETs using a cooperative traffic efficiency application
Gama, O.; Nicolau, M.J.; Costa, A.; Santos, A.; Macedo, J.; Dias, B.
2017 13th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, IWCMC 2017, 2017
- PLASA - Platooning service architecture
Ribeiro, B.; Gama, ?.; Costa, A.; Gon?alves, F.; Barros, S.; Nicolau, M&
DIVANet 2018 - Proceedings of the 8th ACM Symposium on Design and Analysis of Intelligent Vehicular Networks and Applications, 2018
- The smartphone-based offline indoor location competition at IPIN 2016: Analysis and future work
Torres-Sospedra, J.; Jim\'enez, A.R.; Knauth, S.; Moreira, A.; Beer, Y.; Fetzer&a
Sensors (Switzerland), 2017
- A realistic evaluation of indoor positioning systems based on Wi-Fi fingerprinting: The 2015 EvAAL-ETRI competition
Torres-Sospedra, J.; Moreira, A.; Knauth, S.; Berkvens, R.; Montoliu, R.; Belmonte, O&perio
Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, 2017
- Agnostic and modular architecture for the development of cooperative ITS applications
Dias, B.; Santos, A.; Costa, A.; Ribeiro, B.; Gon?alves, F.; Macedo, J.&am
Journal of Communications Software and Systems, 2018