The AESI doctoral program aims at attracting both national and international students with excellent academic or professional records. There are three formal prerequisites for admission:
- Academic qualification. Students with an exceptional record in a master’s degree in Engineering in fields of Industrial, Production, Systems, Information Systems, Informatics, Computers, Electronics, Mechanics, Mechatronics, Robotics, or related areas are eligible to the AESI doctoral program. More specifically, candidates are requested to hold a 5-year diploma in engineering or technology. In the Bologna system, this should correspond either to a 5-year integrated master degree or to a 3-year first-cycle degree (bachelor) followed by a 2-year second-cycle degree (master), or any legal equivalent degrees (national or international). A graduation (“licenciatura” in Portuguese) in engineering or technology is also allowed as long as it corresponds to a degree with a minimum of 300 ECTS (graduation previous to the Bologna system).
- Professional experience. Candidates are requested to demonstrate relevant experience in industrial settings. Alternatively, candidates must demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of industrial problems by having performed academic research in the field with tangible quality outputs (thesis or dissertations, scientific papers, patents, international standards, etc.).
- Language skills. Non-native English speakers must demonstrate competence in English language by getting a B2 level (CEFRL) TOEFL qualification, or equivalent.
The multidisciplinary recruitment is extremely useful during the first curricular year, when students with different backgrounds work in small groups to acquire scientific understanding towards the complex problems faced nowadays by industry. This learning context intends to: (1) provide opportunities for PhD students to see the relevance and value to industry of their skills in problem solving, research and innovation; (2) develop collaborative working skills in research students, especially in multinational teams; (3) to equip students with knowledge of the challenges and opportunities faced routinely in industrial development; (4) improve the industry-relevance of students’ PhD research; (5) enable students to consider the potential of an industrial career alongside the academic route. The admission process may take into account this aspect when selecting the students.
The directive board may decide to interview the candidates in order to assess the motivation, willingness, commitment, and evidence of their intellectual ability to succeed in such a high-quality doctoral program. Highly qualified candidates residing far from UMinho may be interviewed by videoconf.
How to Apply
In order to apply for admission to the AESI doctoral program, please consider the following guidelines carefully and make sure that you have met all requirements when you submit your application:
- Prepare the documents referred below.
- Pay the application fee: link for the details on how to pay the application fee.
- Submit your application, using the online form of the School of Engineering: link for application.
- Send an email to “firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com” (subject “AESI application”) and text your personal data to notify your application.
Candidates should prepare the following documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae (CV): Outline your education, research experience, work experience, publications, scholarships awarded, prizes and honors received, society memberships, and any other extracurricular activities. Include information about your fluency in written and spoken English (see prerequisites above).
- One motivation video (in English) and the corresponding youtube URL. Elaborate one video with no more than 2 minutes (120 seconds!) detailing, in a succinct but clear way, your academic and professional background as well as your motivation and objectives for pursuing PhD studies in Advanced Engineering Systems for Industry. Your motivation video should be specific in describing your interests and motivations. When describing your research interests, you should explain why you think they are important areas of study and why you are particularly well-suited to pursuing them. It is mandatory to publish the video in www.youtube.com. Other video hosting providers will not be accepted.
- Three recommendation letters: Recommenders should know you relatively well and be able to evaluate the quality of your previous work. At least two should be from faculty or recent employers. Three recommendation letters are mandatory, a penalty applies in case less than three letters are provided.
- Authenticated copy of the degrees, diplomas, and certificates: One transcript for each university degree mentioned in your resume. Provide transcript of grades also and transcripts of the certificate of TOEFL English proficiency, or equivalent (such as IELTS or Cambridge Proficiency examination).
- Photocopy of the Identity Card + VAT Number or Citizen Card.
- Payment proof of the application fee.